According to the Vice President of Windows and Devices Group, Gabriel Aul, Microsoft parted ways with WMC because of “decreased usage.” That actually left a lot of people scrambling for a way to keep WMC alive. Thanks to some dedicated users at the My Digital Life Forums, a quick download and a couple command scripts will get WMC running on your Windows 10 machine in a jiff. Here’s how to do it:
- Download the WindowsMediaCenter_10.0.10134.0v2.1.rar file
- Then, with 7-Zip, extract the folder to your main system drive and open it.
- Right-click on the file _TestRights.cmd and select Run as administrator.
- Then right-click on the file Installer.cmd and select Run as administrator. Press any key to exit the installer when it’s finished.
- Make a quick Windows search for Media Center and it will be your top match, but you can also find it under Window Accessories in the Start menu. You should be able to run WMC normally from there.